Thursday, 23 August 2012

Book review - My Demonic Ghost

 
 
I’d been looking forward to reading My Demonic Ghost for a while, and when it was released and I got my copy, I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest. It’s a fresh and original twist on the classic idea of ghosts possessing humans, and the depth that the story goes to is wonderful. I immediately liked the narrator, 15 year-old Rachael who returns to Whitehaven to visit her ailing father. She’s a strong character who not only has to deal with some very ‘normal’ problems, but also keep amused – and a deal with – the demonic Lock. As soon as he entered the story, I was completely hooked, and intrigued as to what the secret of his past could be. It’s not often you come across a printed name which has all the personality as a real human being, and Lock delivers in spades; there isn’t a passage including him which I didn’t love.
Rachael and Lock aren’t the only brilliant characters in the book. The entire cast is rife with believability, and an originality that truly marks them as individuals – which I found especially impressive in the case of the Banished Spirits. The appearances of the other unearthly beings, such as Hunters and Reapers, are well handled, too – it’s a large amount of information, but delivered in an accessible way that doesn’t overwhelm at all. The scenes which really stuck with me were those in which the Seven Deadly Sins are involved – Envy in particular – and the way their individual realms related to them was a work of skilled description and imagination. In stark contrast is the everyday setting of other locations, which manage to walk the line between the imagery of familiar small towns, and eerie pockets: a real keystone for a good ghost story. But even though that’s what this novel might be classed as, there are so many other genres and themes feeding into it that I can’t imagine any paranormal fan not picking it up. Besides the ghosts, there’s action, mystery and romance – something for everyone.
I’d highly recommend My Demonic Ghost. As well as presenting an original story, it’s really taken me back and started me on a huge re-read of all the ghostly books I loved when I was younger. I honestly can’t think of a single negative point to say about it. It’s made me chuckle, bite my nails, and even shed a few tears. An incredible debut which is easily one of the best books I’ve read this year, and I can’t wait to see more! Well done, Jacinta!

1 comment: